- This event has passed.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Series with Joan Rentsch
March 8, 2016 @ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, founded by Jon Kabat-Zinn, has been scientifically shown to reduce stress and pain symptoms; improve immune function; increase empathy, emotional regulation, compassion, focus, creativity, and problem solving capability.
As a result, mindfulness is being incorporated into medical, business, and military organizations and as part of treatment for a wide range of medical conditions. Even professional athletes like LeBron James and Super Bowl champions, the Seattle Seahawks, have been reported to use mindfulness practices.
Here’s what people who have completed the MBSR series are saying:
- I’m better able to focus for longer periods of time.
- I’m more patient and understanding with coworkers and supervisors.
- I’m more aware of when I begin to stress out.
- I now have the ability to reduce stress.
- I’ve become a more creative problem solver.
- I have a better ability to remain calm and clear-headed in stressful situations.
- I’ve learned how to approach life with calm gratitude.
- I honestly believe my work overall is better because it comes from a place of clarity and understanding rather than anxiety and scattered thoughts.
- Able to work with pain and not get caught up with the thinking process and/or the pain itself.
- I learned how to work with my emotions so I can put them aside and keep focused on what I am doing.
- Able to sleep better.
$320 per student
**The series will include a total of 28 hours of class time including handouts, homework, and an 8 hour session on Saturday, April 16th. This averages to approximately $11 per hour.
This 8-week series includes aspects of the course Dr. Joan Rentsch teaches graduate and undergraduate student at The University of Tennessee. Dr. Rentsch was one of the first people to teach a mindfulness course in a college setting and as part of a college curriculum outside of medical schools.